A car overheating is always a scary sight, especially while on a road trip. Most cars do not overheat very often so when they do overheat, they can cause quite the shock to the system. If you notice your temperature gauge rising while you are driving, it is best to know all the tips and tricks to help get the temperature gauge out of the red and back to normal. Here are some tips and tricks to do just that: combat overheating.
When you notice that your vehicle is starting to overheat (the temperature gauge is higher than normal and getting close to the red), then follow these steps to help combat overheating:
- Turn off your air conditioning. Your air conditioner puts an extra load on your engine. Turning off your air conditioner will give your engine an immediate reprieve.
- Turn your heater and fan on high. This will transfer heat away from your engine and into the cabin of the vehicle. This is only a temporary fix. If your vehicle continues to overheat, pull over immediately.
- If you are driving up a hill, back off your gas petal and down shift. This will take a load off your engine and will help cool down your engine.
- If you are stuck in traffic, put your vehicle in neutral when you are stopped. Then, rev your engine at a steady rpm. This will increase the flow of coolant and air in your cooling system, which will help cool down your engine and combat overheating.
- If you are in stop and go traffic, accelerate slowly and smoothly and only brake when necessary. Accelerating too quickly and braking too much will put extra stress on your engine and exacerbate overheating.
If your temperature gauge still manages to make it to the red, pull over and turn your vehicle off immediately. Continuing to drive an overheated vehicle will cause serious damage to your engine and cooling system. Make sure to let your vehicle cool down for at least 30 minutes before checking the cooling system. Overheated coolant will cause burns and serious damage to your body. Be careful and seek the help of an expert if you don’t know what to do next.
Jiffy Lube of Indiana can help keep your vehicle from overheating. Our Signature Service Oil Change and Cooling System Services will provide your vehicle with the preventative maintenance it needs to stay cool on the road. If you need help, stop by your nearest Jiffy Lube of Indiana location today, our certified technicians would be happy to help.
Photo Credit: “niiicedave”