- June 19, 2015
- By admin
- In Safety Tips, Summer Tips
- Tags battery, Brakes, brakes and services, Driving Safety Tips, Jiffy Lube of Indiana, oil change, road trip, roadtrip, Safety, safety tips, tires
Summer is almost here and so is road trip season. No matter what your plans are this summer, no one wants to breakdown in the heat in a place far away from home. Follow these steps before any extended driving this summer in order to keep your vehicle on the road.
- Inspect your brakes to make sure they will continue to work properly throughout the summer.
- Check your battery, clean off any corrosion, and make sure all connections are tight.
- Check all your fluids, including engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and windshield washer fluid.
- Check your air filter. A dirty air filter will hamper engine performance and decrease your miles per gallon out on the road.
- Check all hoses and belts for cracks, fraying, brittleness, and loose connections. Replace if you find any of those signs. A broken belt or a blown hose are 2 very common causes of road trip breakdowns.
- Do a full checkup on your tires. Check the tread and the air pressure. Properly inflated tires will optimize both your miles per gallon and the life of your tires. If your tire tread is worn down or you notice any tire bulges, replace your tires as soon as possible.
- Inspect your gas cap to make sure it properly seals. A broken or improperly sealed gas cap will let gasoline evaporate out of your gas tank and can cause your check engine light to turn on. Make sure to check your cap to save your gas.
Need help? The certified technicians at Jiffy Lube of Indiana are experts in the field of vehicle maintenance. Stop by your nearest location and we can help you check off the items on this summer maintenance checklist with our Signature Service Oil Change and our many other quality services.
Photo Credit: “loosingmind”