- November 21, 2019
- By Erin Davidson
- In Maintenance Tips, Promotion, Vehicle Maintenance, Winter Weather
- Tags changing wiper blades, Discounts, promotion, Promotions, windshield wipers, Winter, Winter Car Care, winter safety, winter tips, wiper blades, wipers
Now through February 29, 2020, get 15% off Wiper Blade Replacement at Jiffy Lube of Indiana stores with the coupon code: WB15P!
Efficient wiper blades are as important to a vehicle’s safe operation as clean oil and good tires. With shorter days and winter weather arriving, your visibility shouldn’t be compromised by a streaky windshield. Even if you recently replaced your wiper blades, now is the best time to inspect them.
Tips for Winter Wiper Blade Maintenance
- Put the wiper arms up when the vehicle is parked outside. This will prevent them from freezing to the windshield.
- Never use your wipers to remove snow and ice. Instead, either use an ice scraper or defrost your vehicle.
- Don’t try to chisel the blades free of ice or smack them against the windshield. This can cause damage to the blade frame.
- Clean your windshield every time you fill-up with gas and use a clean cloth to gently wipe the rubber part of the blade to remove dirt and oil.
Streaking, squeaking, or chattering when the wiper passes are common signs that you need a change. However, if you’re not sure if your blades have deteriorated or if maybe the blades are just dirty, check for these signs and catch a problem before it starts. If there is a wiper blade on your back window, don’t forget to check there as well!
Streaking occurs when the rubber squeegee dries, hardens and cracks. It can also be caused by tree sap, road tar and other foreign substances collected on either the glass or the blade. Run your finger along the rubber to inspect for damage.
Skipping occurs when the blade develops a curvature. Aged squeegees will have difficulty conforming to the shape of your windshield and create streaks. Flex the rubber squeegee back and forth to see if it is still flexible.
Wearing occurs with extensive use and is when the rubber edge stops making strong contact with the windshield. Inspect the rubber edges to see if they have become squared instead of rounded.
New blades have a crisp, clean edge that slides evenly across your windshield without leaving streaks. How did your wipers perform at the first sign of snow, ice, salt, and slush?
December 1, 2019 through February 29, 2020, get 15% off Wiper Blade Replacement at Jiffy Lube of Indiana stores with the coupon code: WB15P!
Wiper blades should be part of your winter safety inspection. Jiffy Lube of Indiana is your one-stop-shop to prepare your vehicle for all the demands of the road. Our technicians are happy to evaluate the areas of your vehicle that may need preventative maintenance. Our Signature Service Oil Change includes checking the fluids, belts, hoses, filters, and other vital parts of your vehicle needed to keep you and your family safe on the road. Find a location near you here.