- July 12, 2013
- By admin
- In Summer Tips
Summer marks the official start of road trip season. Tire problems can seriously dampen your summer fun. Here are a few tire tips to keep you safe and on the road during these long, summer days.
- Check your tire pressure at least once a month. Keep the pressure at your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation and make sure to check the pressure when the tires are cool.
- Don’t overload your vehicle. Overloading your car will place excessive stress on your tires which will increase heat build-up. This will increase your chance of a tire blowout. This will also negatively affect your vehicle’s handling and fuel economy.
- Visually inspect your tires. Look for cracks, cuts, bulges, worn out tread or irregular wear of the tire tread. Replace or have your tires checked by a professional if you find any of these problems.
- Cloud bursts and sudden rain storms are common throughout the summer in many parts of the country. If you find yourself caught in one of these storms, protect yourself from hydroplaning, which will cause you to lose control of your car. Make sure your tires have plenty of tread and slow down during downpours.
- Make sure your spare tire is pumped and ready to go. Also, pack an emergency tire inflation kit in your truck. Be prepared to use it in case of an emergency.
These simple steps can be the difference between summer fun and a summer nightmare.
Jiffy Lube of Indiana will also fill your tires and perform necessary preventative maintenance as part of the Jiffy Lube Signature Service OilChange.
Photo Credit: “HeyRocker”