- October 21, 2013
- By admin
- In Maintenance Tips
Unforeseen car repairs can put a serious dent in your wallet. Here are a few simple driving tips to help extend the life of your vehicle and extend the time your vehicle can drive between repairs.
- Do not rev your engine when your start your vehicle. This adds unnecessary wear to your engine.
- During the first ten or twenty minutes of driving your vehicle, make sure to accelerate slowly. This is when your engine and drive train are most susceptible to wear.
- Try shifting to neutral during red lights to give your engine and automatic transmission a little break.
- Try to avoid accelerating quickly and traveling at high speeds. This puts more stress on your engine, especially in the winter and summer when the temperatures are more extreme outside.
- Driving carefully can extend the life of your tires. Avoiding fast starts, stops, turns, potholes, and curbs will help limit unnecessary wear on your tires.
- Try not to turn your steering wheel all the way left or all the way right for very long since it puts extra stress on your vehicle, even the power-steering pump.
- The greatest amount of wear and tear to your vehicle happens in the first few minutes of driving, so try to limit short trips in your vehicle and combine errands when necessary.
The best way to keep your vehicle out of the repair shop is through preventative maintenance. Jiffy Lube of Indiana specializes in preventative maintenance to keep your vehicle on the road and out of the shop.
Photo Credit: “brownpau”